Model SPF-290AS Automated UV Transmittance / SPF Analyzer
The versatile SPF-290AS UV Transmittance / Sunscreen Protection Factor Analyzer is an integrated turnkey UV spectrophotometer, designed and optimized for the determination of SPF values on a variety of sunscreen and cosmetic products, as well as materials testing. This self-contained, attractive desktop unit reduces the need and associated cost for in-vivo testing. Covering both the UVB and UVA spectral regions, the system automatically scans from 290 to 400 nm, accumulating and storing data at intervals of 1, 2, or 5nm. The monochromatic protection factor (MPF) is determined for each of the selected wavelengths, and is used to calculate the SPF value, using solar irradiance and erythemal constants that are programmed into the software (but which can be easily modified.)
The SPF-290AS is the perfect choice for quick, efficient, and accurate analysis of:
Validation Kit Included
An SPF-290AS Validation Kit is included with each analyzer and comes complete with a Comprehensive Test Plate. The Comprehensive Test Plate contains several optical filters that are measured by the SPF-290AS, and the results are compared to NIST-traceable factory measurements. This feature is designed to provide a clear understanding and validation of how your SPF-290AS analyzer is performing against factory measurements for optical density, wavelength accuracy, and correlation to in-vivo testing whenever desired. Equipped with this tool, users will not spend time performing tests on an analyzer that is in need of repair, nor will they spend money for repairs that are not necessary. The SPF-290AS Validation Kit includes:
- Storage case
- 10 syringes with tips, 1 ml, disposable
- PMMA plates, 50 x 50 mm, 5μ roughness, sample set of 3
- Sample holder for 50 x 50 mm PMMA plates
- Calibration Filter Plate assembly
- 1 oz jar of Homosalate Standard
- 1 oz jar of COLIPA Standard
- Factory calibration data
Depending on your intended testing methods, additional boxes of two hundred PMMA plates in either 2μ roughness or 5μ roughness are available optionally. We also offer 3M™ Transpore™ tape and Transpore tape holders for performing less demanding measurement data collection.
High Correlation with In-Vivo Testing
The high correlation between the SPF-290AS in-vitro measurements and in-vivo test results provides confidence that the analyzer will be a reliable guide to product performance. The SPF-290AS delivers reliable results on the most difficult samples. An easy-to-use testing methodology, combined with reproducible results, opens the door to efficient and low cost experimental design techniques for formulation optimization. This will result in faster formulation and lower development costs due to a reduction in the need for extensive in-vivo panel studies.
Korea Food & Drug Administration Qualify the SPF-290S as an Alternative Method to in-vivo Testing
“The results of this study for correlation between the in-vivo SPF and in-vitro SPF measured using SPF-290 analyzer are…..The in vitro SPF test method will be used as an alternative method for in vivo SPF and a new test item for quality control sunscreens.”
– Drug Evaluation Department, Korea Food & Drug Administration, 5 Nokbun-dong, Eunpyung-gu, Seoul, Korea
The Complete SPF-290AS SPF Analyzer / UV Transmittance Analyzer and Computer Includes:
- Motorized and automated X-Y sample stage and control module for Hit-and-Forget measurements of up to 12 discrete sample positions
- 125W CW Xenon source and precision integrating sphere
- Color Compensating Filter
- PMT Detection Module – The photomultiplier provides extremely high sensitivity and ultra-fast response. Photomultiplier tubes (PMT) have high bandwidth and noise-free gain on the order of a million. This makes PMTs ideal for the detection of extremely low light levels as required in SPF measurements.
- Precision scanning monochromator with stepping motor and controller
- Computer hardware and software as described above
- Box of 25 syringes with tips (1 ml disposable)
- Validation kit
- Factory calibration data
- Complete instruction manual
- Audio/ Visual training
- Available for use with 100 VAC / 50 Hz, 110 VAC / 60 Hz, or 220 VAC / 50 Hz. Specify at time of order.
This unit is relied upon in the most prestigious commercial research laboratories in the world, including Avon, BASF, Clairol, Elizabeth Arden, Estee Lauder, Good Housekeeping, ISP, Johnson & Johnson, Lever Bros, L’Oreal, Mary Kay, Merck, Revlon, Rohm & Haas, Proctor & Gamble, Unilever, Andrew Jergens, Helene Curtis, Whitehall Robins, Bayer, S.C. Johnson, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Tanning Research, Pfizer, Boots the Chemist, UK Ltd., Amway and many others!
290 – 400 nm (range specified by international methods)
0.2% (0.58 nm – 0.80 nm)
0 – 3.2 A (Dual Doped PMMA Method)
1 – 100+
As little as 24 seconds
1 nm, 2 nm, or 5 nm. User selectable.
Power stabilized Xenon CW125 W (operated at 75 W)
High Sensitivity Multialkali side-on PMT
Automated X-Y Stage
110V AC, 60 Hz or 220V AC, 50 Hz
COLIPA / ISO in-vitro method for UVA-PF/SPF ratio (for EU labeling)